top of page


Hosting an Au Pair in Denmark


Requirements for Host Families in Denmark :

  • The host family must consist of at least one adult and one child under 18, and they must be registered at the same address. A family cannot host an Au Pair if there are no children under the age of 18 registered at their address. 
    If the parents do not live together, they can agree to have the Au Pair living with them in turns. Both parents must sign a contract with the Au Pair, and both parents must meet the conditions for being a host family. 


  • Thorough knowledge of Danish culture - at least one of the parents in the host family must have a thorough knowledge of Danish culture and be able to communicate that knowledge to the Au Pair. Therefore, it is required that at least one of the parents is a Danish citizen, a EU citizen or has been living in Denmark for a extended period of time and is significantly attached to Denmark. Non-EU citizens with diplomatic status in Denmark cannot be a host family regardless of how long time the family has been living in Denmark. In addition, the host family must not be related to the Au Pair  or be of the same nationality as the Au Pair.


  • Public services
    None of the member of the host family can be supported by public benefits under the terms of the Active Social Policy Act.

    In the application form,  family must declare not to be receiving public benefits at the time when the application is submitted. It is, however, allowed to receive minor occasional benefits that do not replace an actual income.


  • Only one Au Pair at a time
    The host family is only allowed to have one Au Pair at a time. An overlap of maximum 14 days between a former and a new Au Pair is permitted, provided that the former Au Pair will pass on knowledge to the new Au Pair.


  • Never misusing the Au Pair scheme
    The host family must not have previously misused the Au Pair scheme. If the host family previously misused the Au Pair scheme, the family may be excluded from using the scheme for a period - and you will not be able to get an au pair stay with the family.

  • ​Insurance
    The host family must take out 3 types of insurance covering the Au Pair:
    -Insurance against work-related injuries.
    -Insurance covering leisure time and accidents.
    -Insurance covering transportation to the Au Pair's home country in the case of the Au Pair's death, serious illness or injury.


  • Co-financing of Danish education

When all other conditions for a residence permit as an Au Pair has been met, SIRI will request the host family to pay a one-off payment of DKK 5,275 (2018 level). 
The fee will cover parts of the state’s expenses of offering Danish lessons.
The payment of the fee is a condition for the Au Pair to be granted a residence permit.
The fee must be paid once for each application. It does not make a difference whether the Au Pair previously have had another host family, whether the host family previously has had an Au Pair or whether the Au Pair do not want to make use of the offer to receive Danish lessons. The payment will not be refunded if the Au Pair do not come to Denmark, nor if the Au Pair contract is terminated.

Preparation for the Au Pair

​Working hours
The Au Pair working hours is 18-30 hours a week, not more than 3-5 hours per day.

Duration of stay
An Au Pair is granted a residence permit for one year, but no longer than the duration of the Au Pair contract. A six-month extension can be granted so that in exceptional cases the au pair may stay with the family for a maximum of 24 months.

Pocket money
The pocket money your Au Pair should receive is minimum 4.250 DKK gross a month before tax.

Language requirements
The Au Pair must be able to speak and understand a reasonable level of Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, English or German.

Travel costs
The Host Family has to pay for the Au Pair's ticket to and from Denmark if the Au Pair comes from outside EU.

Language course
The Au Pair should be given enough spare time to attend a language course.

Room and board
The Au Pair receives free room and board. They have to be provided with free meals and an adequate room of their own in the house of the Host Family.

Days off
The Au Pair has one-and-a-half day off every week. In addition, they have a right to a day off on official Danish national Holidays. Also, the Au Pair must be given the opportunity to participate in religious worship.
In Denmark, there are no official regulations with regard to public holidays for Au Pairs. We recommend that Au Pairs have a day off on public holidays. Only in exceptional cases Au Pairs should work on public holidays. The Host Family should discuss this with their Au Pair beforehand.

Please see the following page concerning the holidays regulations for au pairs in Denmark (only in Danish).

Au Pair Contract, Insurance, Driving License, etc.

The Au Pair and the Host Family have to sign an Au Pair contract. In Denmark, this contract is already included in the application form for a residence permit. The Au Pair contract may be signed for  a maximum of 24 months. The Au Pair contract is needed to apply for a residence permit.
Residence permit:

  • In order to be granted a residence permit, the Au Pair must have linguistic knowledge in one of the following languages: Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, English or German.

  • A residence permit can only be issued if the Au Pair has not previously held a residence permit.

  • If the applicant has been legally residing in another country for the last three months or more, they are allowed to submit the application at a Danish embassy or consulate in the country where they have been residing for the last 3 months.

  • The Au Pair contract which is signed by both parties, the Host Family and the Au Pair, is already included in the application form for a residence permit.

Indonesian Au Pairs must apply for an Au Pair Residence Permit at the Immigration Service.
Indonesian Au Pairs should apply for the residence permit in Indonesia at the Danish diplomatic mission (embassy or consulate general) before entering the country. The embassy or consulate will forward their application form to the Danish Immigration Service, where it will be processed.

Work permit / taxes 
The tasks performed by an Au Pair are not considered as work. For this reason, they do not need a work permit. Attention: Nevertheless, the Au Pair is not allowed to take up additional work, paid or unpaid. But the relationship between the Au Pair and the Host Family is regarded as a relationship between employee and employer and is thus subject to Danish laws regarding holidays and taxation. Please contact the Danish tax authority SKAT for more information.

Health insurance
Should the Au Pair fall ill during their stay, it is the responsibility of the Host Family to provide free food, lodging and sufficient care until necessary further arrangements have been made. It is furthermore the responsibility of the Host Family to sign the Au Pair up for health insurance. They can do this at the local Citizen's Service Centre (Borgerservice). The Au Pair will get a so-called CPR number and 'health card' there.

Car driving and driving licence
Clarify with your Au Pair whether it will be necessary to drive and also if the Au Pair feels comfortable driving. Indonesian Au Pairs can apply for the International Driving License in Indonesia and it is valid for driving in most of the countries including Denmark.
​In Indonesia, the driving lane is on the left side and it would be a great idea if your Au Pair get the chance to practice for couple of days in Denmark before they drive in the main road. Also discuss with your Au Pair what will happen in the event of an accident? Who pays for the damage? It is recommended to put this agreement in writing.

bottom of page